Wednesday, January 17, 2018

The obsession of Star Wars Toys

Star Wars Star Wars Star Wars
I have had a life long passion with Star Wars toys. I was 7 when the first movie came out and was the perfect age to want to play with the toys that came from those movies. I have had everything possible star wars during my lifetime. Books, VHS, Laser Disc, Comics, Figures, Soaps, Bed Sheets, etc, etc, etc...

 My current obsession would be the Bootleg or "Knock-Off" variety of Action Figures. I have numerous books archiving licensed Star Wars items, but finding information on these unsanctioned toys can be hit or miss on the internet. I have amassed information from miscellaneous websites and other sources. My goal is to self publish a book on the subject of bootleg figures. To avoid legal repercussions I may make it available for free via internet download.

  My personal addiction is to the 3 3/4" or 3.75" line of collectibles. I do have some 6" and 12" in my collection, (both Legit and KO) but I had to draw the line with my obsession somewhere so I won't go into detail on larger size figures, but I will post images of what I do acquire. I just can't say no to a Boba Fett of any size or variety.

In future posts I will focus on specific collections of bootlegs including a checklist of available characters and any production notes I may have to share. Some are exact sculpts the figures they are bootlegging and others are original sculpts of characters. Most notable is the set of "The Force Awakens" figures that were released months before Disney had anything available. Based on teaser images from the film, the figures were definitely not to scale since the Rey figure was a shade taller than Kylo and Chewbacca. Yes I will create a post for that collection as well. 

My collection is part of my retirement plan so where as i'm not in any hurry to part with anything, everything in my collection is "Available" for the right price. I will be making some toys available on eBay https://www.ebay.com/usr/dreamingcolour as life and time permits me to do so.  I collect the figures but I Buy&Sell anything Star Wars I find. If you are interested in something I have posted here feel free to inquire. 

Following are a few images from my collection that I've pulled from my Google Drive. Future posts will be more comprehensive. This is just for today to get the ball rolling...


 In the above image are a selection of 3 of the Star WARRIO carded collection. An odd amalgamation of a Shadows of the Empire style card with the image of a figure of the ATAT Driver that was not part of the Shadows collection. The use of Warrio is an obvious way to avoid direct copyright infringement. I have seen other deliberate misspellings on other bootleg varieties.  I have more information on this particular set of bootlegs and will share on a future post. 


Here is a Mexican Bootleg of 3.75 C-3PO on a mini POTF style card. Interestingly the card is from a C-3PO figure. I have several other characters on the same C-3PO card. The figure includes a pink tree of assorted weapons. The back of the card is blank.

I have slowly accumulated quite the collection and database of these "Unofficial" or "Unlicensed" Action figures. Even though some of these are non-articulated and therefore incapable of any real Action, they are wonderful none the less. 


Above is an example of a Chinese bootleg of toy from the Expanded Universe of Star Wars. This is a "Swoop" from the Shadows of the Empire story. The packaging is representative of the Red Card POTF line. This specific toy has been released numerous times as a Deluxe toy.  I have another of this same toy with slightly different colored parts. I even have a version of this molded in blue on a Attack of the Clones card. Whoever has the mold for this toy has made use of it numerous times. I will make a full post in the future on this particular toy.

 I am still unsure if this is a bootleg or a repack of used figures. The background was a take on the Gentle Giant series of figures. I'm like 84% sure its a knock off.
 This is an example of Fan Made "Custom" figures. I have seen a few varieties of the "Smoking Corpse of" Owen and Beru from A New Hope. 

One of my 12" Knock-Offs. I currently only have Darth Vader from this collection. 

If anyone feel that I have given incomplete information or feel that they have anything specific to add, feel free to comment or contact me directly. Its my hope to make my blog a database/resource for Bootleg Star Wars Figures. If you are looking for info on a variety I have not yet posted about, feel free to inquire..

No comments:

Post a Comment